Developer of the Year Award
|NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, has selected VanTrust Real Estate, LLC (VanTrust) as its 2023 Developer of the Year – the association’s highest honor. The award will be presented during NAIOP’s CRE.Converge conference in Seattle this October. Read the press release.|
About the Award
Presented annually since 1979, the Developer of the Year Award is given annually to one developer that best exemplifies leadership and innovation in the commercial real estate industry. Nominees must be a Principal member company in good standing.
The Developer of the Year award is determined by a five-member selection committee of industry peers that uses the following criteria to evaluate entries:
- Company Profile: Company details, leadership, and primary focus.
- Adaptation: Your company’s approach for successfully navigating challenges (examples: economic headwinds, community pushback, demographic or environmental conditions). Share a specific challenge faced, detailing what your company leadership learned and how the company addressed the issue.
- Community Relations: Your company’s impact on the markets where you do business, including actions that focus on sound planning, job growth, workforce retention/attraction, issue advocacy, and permitting/approvals, among others. Detail how your company has worked with local policymakers, and the positive outcome to the local community.
- Company Culture: Your company’s commitment to and incorporation of diversity, equity and inclusion practices; mentorship and career development programs; and internal adaptability to changing work environments.
- Financial Success: Your company’s strategies for return on investment, economic sustainability and success.
- Innovation: Your company’s innovation and forward-thinking approach to development and building operations. Detail what sets your portfolio apart from other top CRE developers, as well as your company’s strategies for adapting and innovating to meet the demands for changing workforce, technology and wellness goals, among others.
- NAIOP Involvement: Your company’s and employee engagement with NAIOP, including participation in and support of programs offered by local chapters and NAIOP Corporate, as well as volunteer leadership contributions.
- Philanthropy: Your company’s volunteer charitable interests and contributions in the markets where it is active.
- Premier Developments: Showcase up to three of your company’s most notable development projects, including year developed, type, location and photos. Detail why each project is among your company’s highest achievements, including innovative features, return on investment, and community impact. Completed projects only, preferably within the last 10 years.
- Sustainability: Your company’s incorporation of sustainability, technology and resiliency into the development, construction and operation of buildings (as applicable). Include certifications/honors received, economic success/return on investment, community impact and cutting-edge solutions.
2020: Kilroy Realty Corporation
Los Angeles, California
Watch a video about Kilroy Realty
2019: Alexandria Real Estate Equities Inc.
2018: St. John Properties
Watch a video about St. John Properties
2017: Trammell Crow Company
Watch a video about Trammell Crow Company
2015: Majestic Realty Co.
Los Angeles, California
Watch a video about Majestic Realty Co.
2014: Brandywine Realty Trust
Watch a video about Brandywine Realty Trust
2013: Vulcan Real Estate
Watch a video about Vulcan Real Estate
2012: The JBG Companies
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Watch a video about The JBG Companies
Watch JBG Companies Accept 2012 Developer of the Year
2011: CenterPoint Properties
Oak Brook, Illinois
2010: The Alter Group, Chicago, Ill.
2009: Highwoods Properties, Raleigh, N.C.
2008: Liberty Property Trust, Malvern, Pa.
2007: Ryan Companies US Inc., Minneapolis, Minn.
2006: Bentall Capital, Vancouver, British Columbia
2005: ProLogis, Denver, Colo.
2004: United Properties, Bloomington, Minn.
2003: Colonial Properties Trust, Birmingham, Ala.
2002: Lowe Enterprises, Los Angeles, Calif.
2001: Duke Realty Corporation, Indianapolis, Ind.
2000: Stiles Corporation, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
1999: Matrix Development Group, Cranbury, N.J.
1998: The Estate of James Campbell, Kapolei, Hawaii
1997: Cousins Properties Inc., Atlanta, Ga.
1996: Beacon Properties Corporation, Boston, Mass.
1995: The Irvine Company, Irvine, Calif.
1994: Miller-Valentine Group, Dayton, Ohio
1993: Charles E. Smith Companies, Arlington, Va.
1992: Opus Corporation, Minnetonka, Minn.
1991: CARTER, Atlanta, Ga.
1990: The Sudler Companies, Roseland, N.J.
1989: Birtcher, Laguna Niguel, Calif.
1988: Trammel Crow Co., Dallas, Texas
1987: Rouse & Associates, Malvern, Pa.
1986: Taylor & Mathis Inc., Atlanta, Ga.
1985: Olympia & York, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1984: Vantage Companies, Dallas, Texas
1983: The Koll Company, Newport Beach, Calif.
1982: Cabot, Cabot & Forbes, Boston, Mass.
1981: Gerald D. Hines Interests, Houston, Texas
1980: Southern Pacific Company, San Francisco, Calif.
1979: Bennet & Kahnweiler, Chicago, Ill.
Companies that have won Developer of the Year within the previous 10 years are not eligible, nor are companies with a representative on the current NAIOP Corporate Executive Committee. Members of the Executive Committee may not nominate or endorse candidates.